Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bear's Peach Cobbler -- Sweet Melissa Sundays



I'm so excited -- today is my day to pick a recipe for Sweet Melissa Sundays! I chose Bear's Peach Cobbler from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book because peach cobbler is one of my favorite desserts and I couldn't wait to give Melissa's recipe a try. Also, I thought it was neat that Melissa mentions before the recipe that she first made this for her little sister's fifth birthday and it ended up being her favorite dessert. I'm an only child and when I was younger always wished for a little sister. I'm sure if I had one I'd be in the kitchen creating desserts either for or with her all the time :) I hope that my fellow SMS bakers enjoyed this recipe, I can't wait to visit everyone and see how their cobblers turned out.

I used California Summer White peaches (they look like apples when sliced and have an amazing flavor) and skipped peeling them...

Bear’s Peach Cobbler
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients for the cobbler topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar plus 1 1/2 teaspoons for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon whole milk or heavy cream, for glazing

Ingredients for the peach filling:
6 cups peeled, sliced, ripe peaches (bout 3 1/2 pounds)
Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and zest. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until it resembles a coarse meal. Little by little stir in the heavy cream until dough starts to hold together (a bit more cream may be used if needed).

2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat dough together to form a round about 1/2-inch thick. Using a lightly floured 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter (I just a heart cookie cutter) to cut the dough into 7 to 8 biscuits.


3. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or aluminum foil and refrigerate loosely covered with plastic wrap, while you make the filling or until you are ready to use.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and butter a 2-quart ovenproof deep-dish pan. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil.

5. To make the filling, stir together peach slices, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a large bowl.


Pour peach mixture into prepared dish.


Place the biscuits evenly on top of the peach mixture and brush with milk. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.


6. Place dish on the lined cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Remove to a wire rack to cool before serving. This cobbler should be eaten the day it is baked. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

*My cobbler is still baking, I just wanted to post the recipe early for SMS, I can't wait to report back with results, which I think we will love! Thanks for visiting :)


Update: Yum, yum, yum! This cobbler was wonderful, I had never used white peaches in cobbler before and they turned out great. My kids all absolutely loved this, my super picky husband is not a peach fan, but he tried it and said it was really good, even though he only wanted a little taste. What a delicious Sweet Melissa Sundays treat!


Look at that gorgeous rosy peach color from the SummerWhite Peaches, I love it!

28 comments:

Flourchild said...

I love the hearts! Your peaches look like apples. I had to go back and make sure I read that right!
Im glad you picked this recipe, it was good!
Have a Happy Sunday!

Megan said...

What cute biscuits! I love the heart shape - it makes it look so special!

Even though it wasn't our favorite, I'm still so glad I tried it - great choice!

Jessica said...

I love the heart shape! I'm glad that you didn't peel the peaches. I was so close to skipping that step and now I know that it's ok to leave the skins on. I loved this dessert -- great pick!

spike. said...

Thanks for a great pick! Love the hearts!!!

Pamela said...

Love the hearts on top of the cobbler! Really cute. And those peaches do look just like apples. It was a great choice and really delicious!

Hanaâ said...

Your cobbler turned out great. Love the heart shapes!

Anonymous said...

Your cobbler looks wonderful! I really like the picture in the glass bowl after it's been baked- the whipped cream on top reminds me of the bleeding hearts that grow in my parents' backyard. Wonderful job this week, and great pick! I'm sorry I wasn't able to bake this week, I'm definitely going to have to do it some other time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for choosing the cobbler this week Andrea! I love baked fruit desserts so this was right up my alley. Your heart shaped biscuits are adorable and I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe :)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Great choice, Andrea - this was delicious!! :)

Katrina said...

What a fun way to do the biscuits. I love that it wasn't totally covered with the biscuit mixture. Looks and sounds delicious! Wish I had some peaches right now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pick! Yours looks beautiful!

Carolyne said...

Oh I love peaches and your cobbler looks like the perfect fix for a peach craving!

margot said...

Thanks for a great choice, yours looks terrific! I love white peaches, so I'm happy to know it was great with those too (and that you don't have to peel them).

Sarah said...

I love that you left the skins on, I was wondering how that would work, and it appears to have turned out beautifully! Great pick, I had to make mango cobbler due to a lack of peaches, but I'll definitely give the recipe another try as written once I can get some.

Jennifer said...

Andrea,
Mmm.. your peaches sound delicious! I made my biscuits heart-shaped, too, but you can't tell it in my photo.
Thanks for the great pick; I really enjoyed the cobbler.

k.a.r.e.n said...

Great pick! Love the heart shaped biscuits. Im not going to bother with peeling the peaches next time either!

Mermaid Sews said...

The hearts are sooo cute and what a great step by step post. Wish I skipped peeling, that took forever. Great pick. Thanks.

Jamie said...

I love love love peach cobbler and just bought my first summer peaches. Yum yours looks divine and the hearts are a wonderful idea!

Laura said...

Love the hearts! Great looking cobbler. Nice pick for the week. :)

Fit Chick said...

Great pick!!! Your cobbler is beautiful with the hearts and so glad it tasted yummy.

Lulu the Baker said...

I think the heart-shaped biscuits and rosy color look perfect together! Thanks for picking such an awesome recipe!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea!

Thanks so much for your wonderful SMS recipe selection. This was my first week of baking with the group and "Bear's Peach Cobbler" was my very first blog post- super exciting! Your cobbler came out beautiful- what a fabulous idea to use an alternative shaped cutter- it makes it infinitely adaptable!

I wanted to introduce myself- my name is Joy and I'm an enthusiastic home baker from Boston, MA. I'd love for you to check out my site, and I look forward to getting to know you better during future weekly posts!

Kim said...

I think your cobbler looked beautiful and loved the heart shapes. I bet the kiddos loved it too.

Kerstin said...

I love peach cobbler - great choice! The hearts on top are so cute :) And, I love your blog name too!

Jaime said...

your cobbler looks wonderful. i'm sorry i couldn't bake along w/you this week - we're in the middle of a move and everything is packed up!

Michele said...

Your cobbler is just so gorgeous! Great job!

Basically, Baby Boots said...

The heart shaped biscuits add such a cute touch to this cobbler. I enjoyed baking Bear's Cobbler with you this week.

Cristine said...

Thanks for a great pick! Your cobbler looks so cute with the hearts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails