Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mini Perfect Pound Cakes -- Sweet Melissa Sundays


Time for Sweet Melissa Sundays! This week we tried Perfect Pound Cake, picked by Michele at Veggie Num Nums, thanks Michele! You can find this pound cake recipe here at her wonderful blog.


I was excited to give Melissa Murphy's Perfect Pound Cake recipe a try, pound cake is a family favorite although I don't make it that often. When I was pregnant with my daughter I craved pound cake and baked so many she was nicknamed 'little poundcake' for a while :) I was always trying to find that perfect recipe and never really got that 'never want to try another pound cake' recipe, but I did learn that my favorite pound cakes were made with buttermilk. It makes them extra moist and gives then a little tangy kick. This recipe doesn't have buttermilk but does have cream.



I made two batch of this recipe, the first one I used cream and baked it in a 'rose' bundt pan that is smaller than the usual bundt but was way too big for this recipe. I thought I would be able to invert it and see the shape but it rose so much that that didn't really work out. My husband tried this one and thought it was pretty good.


The next batch I made into mini pound cakes in the mini loaf pan. I swapped out the cream for buttermilk but must say that with this pound cake recipe, cream does work better than buttermilk, but both versions were still tasty. I have to admit that I tend to wince a little when a recipe title says 'perfect' -- such high standards! Can there really be a perfect pound cake?


The mini pound cakes were definitely cuter and my kids loved them :)



One year ago today: Indonesian Pan Fried Noodles -- Mie Goreng

17 comments:

Megan said...

I love the little cakes - too cute!

I often use buttermilk instead of regular milk too - I find that it does give that extra "oomph".

Jessica said...

I love that you experimented with this cake. I agree, perfect is a tricky little adjective in recipes. It's always hard to measure up.

Mrs. G said...

I love the mini versions. My cake is cooling now so I haven't tasted it yet, but the consistency of the batter was definitely different than any other pound cake I have made.

Lauren said...

i have to admit that i did not think it was 'perfect' either :( the title sets it up for disappointment!

Nina said...

The mini loaves look so cute!

Flourchild said...

Wonderful mini pound cakes! You did a great job as usual! I hope to make a moist pound cake someday. I love it but not dry! I ended up smothering it with choke cherry jam and it tasted good!

Julie said...

Your mini pound cakes are beautiful. I almost did minis but did a bundt instead. Although too small mine did turn out okay.

Anonymous said...

I like the mini pound cakes. Cool that you experimented.

Maria said...

I love the mini cakes. Too cute

Unknown said...

All of your minis are adorable! Great idea to experiment with the buttermilk - too bad it didn't make it better.

Sarah said...

Your minis are adorable! I found this one tasty, but not perfect.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mini is always so cute and these look pretty perfect to me. ;-)

Katiecakes said...

Those mini loafs are just darling!

Katie xox

Jeannette said...

such adorable little cakes!!

Jennifer said...

The mini cakes is a great idea!

Fit Chick said...

Good for you trying the recipe twice! I really like your mini pans, great idea.

Michele said...

Your pound cakes are just lovely. Thank you SO much for baking with me!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails