Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Basic White Loaves


I am so excited to be posting our very first Tuesdays with Dorie recipe from our newest baking adventure guidebook, Baking with Julia! Being a part Tuesdays with Dorie during Baking From My Home To Yours was such a fun journey and I just loved it.


This week we tackled Craig Kominiak's recipe for White Loaves, from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan. I had never heard of Craig Kominiak and apparently he got his start as a chef by cooking for the Navy, after five years of cooking three meals a day for 200 sailors, he enrolled in the Culinary Institute of America and has since become a famous baker at Ecce Panis artisan bakery.


The recipe makes two loaves, one loaf I kept traditional -- the above photo is it before rising.



And the second half of the dough I decided to have a little fun with and make a cinnamon sugar swirl, which according to the TWD website, a lot of people were incorporating into their loaves.



But I didn't just make another loaf, nah, I decided to have a go at a heart shaped swirl bread. I love making shaped breads, so fun to get creative with the dough and hope that your "art" comes out of the oven as you'd imagined while preparing it.



Why a heart? Is it because Valentine's Day is right around the corner? Nope! It is because today is our 9th wedding anniversary :) Yep, nine years with picky husband, and we've had so much fun. He loves bread and I am happy to make it often, add a cinnamon sugar swirl and he is one happy camper.


Drizzle on some icing (powdered sugar and skim milk) and you will have a breakfast treat sure to become a new favorite.


Both breads were a hit with the whole family, the plain loaf was great for sandwiches and toast, and the cinnamon swirl bread didn't even need butter.


I twisted the swirl so it made a few different swirl shapes as you sliced through the loaf. Some parts even looked like a cinnamon roll...



This bread was a hit with the whole family. Below is a photo of my youngest taste tester completely enjoying his slice after a messy morning art session (confirmed the marker on his hands). I am happy to say that this first Tuesdays with Dorie -- Baking with Julia recipe was a huge success and I can't wait to try our next selection, Chocolate Truffle Tartlets, they sound delicious!



32 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Anniversary! And wow, both your loaves look fantastic. I am so trying to the cinnamon next time!

Julie said...

This looks so good. I could eat the whole loaf!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Wish I'd thought of cinnamon swirl or something creative for my 2nd loaf...anyway, this is great bread and I loved using it for toast. Nice post.

Misty said...

Oh my goodness that cinnamon swirl looks wonderful. Well done!

Ei said...

Looks great! Love the heart. I want cinnamon bread NOW. I wish I had the self-control around baked goods to trust myself with TwD. Oh well.

Pamela said...

Love the heart and the swirl look so yummy! Happy Anniversary, too!

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

Your bread looks like it turned out perfect. Nothing beats homemade bread, the smell of it baking in the oven is priceless! I love the heart shape loaf with the cinnamon and sugar.

Rachel said...

Loving the cinnamon swirl romance bread! (and the cutie taste-tester!) Cheers!
www.tangerine-tart.blogspot.com

pinkstripes said...

What a great idea about the cinnamon heart loaf. It sounds tasty!

NZFoodGirl said...

Yum!! I did a cinnamon swirl too but I never thought to do an icing drizzle too!!! Next time!

Beth said...

Your cinnamon sugar heart bread is a great idea!

Amanda said...

I am loving the heart shaped bread, great idea and it looks so good!

Unknown said...

Seriously?? You're so creative!!! Love the way the heart turned out!!!

Julia said...

Happy Anniversary! I LOVE your heart shaped loaf!

Jules Someone said...

Those look great! I love how versatile this bread is. Happy anniversary!

Christy said...

Hearts, and cinnamon bread - Wow! Terrific looking, beautiful and inspired!

Anne Brassell a.k.a. Chef Nana said...

I LOVE the picture of your little boy enjoying a slice!!!

Cocoa and Quinoa said...

Great idea shaping it like a heart! Must try... Happy anniversary!

Kayte said...

Oh, you win this week...you definitely win with that heart! Beautiful and Happy Anniversary! So happy to be back on Tuesdays. I need to get on the ball with MKMW as I miss it and I just love doing it. Soon. xo

jillbuker said...

I did a cinnamon loaf also, but your heart shape was much more creative! Happy Anniversary.

Cher Rockwell said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the heart shaped loaf and the picture of your adorable boy :-)

Vicki said...

Your bread looks delish.
cinnamon...yum

Frolicking Night Owl said...

beautiful heart bread! so fun to see what everyone else does!!

Kathy said...

Your bread looks perfectly wonderful and love the way you made the heart shape. I also did a cinnamon swirl but nothing as creative as your heart. Nice job!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Great idea for your second loaf! My kids would have gobbled that up...beauitful!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

What a fun twist on this bread!! I am so glad you are back for round 2 of TWD! Happy anniversary!

Karen/Shortbread said...

That heart bread is just FABULOUS!! If you keep baking things like that you will be married for many more years to come.

TeaLady said...

Happy 9th. Many more, I hope!!

I LOVE the cinnamon bread. You are so creative.

If you are doing catch-ups for TWD let me know and I will link to you in mine. I have 48 to do!!!

Sara said...

That heart loaf looks awesome! I'll have to try that next time!

Jennifer said...

Both breads look amazing-your heart shaped bread, however, is exceptional! Happy Anniversary!

Cindy said...

This was one tasty bread, glad you are baking with us! Congrats, I love the heart shapped cinnamon swirl.

Elaine said...

Your heart-shaped swirl bread looks so beautiful and delicious, Andrea. What a lovely bread to celebrate your anniversary. Happy 9th!

Related Posts with Thumbnails