Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Coconut Butter Wedges -- Tuesdays with Dorie

Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! This week's recipe, Coconut Butter Thins, was picked by Jayne of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch, thanks Jayne! The add-ins for this recipe are two my favorites, macadamia and coconut -- yum! We didn't have any macadamia nuts so I asked my husband to pick some up at the store and he came home with two pounds of them!!


I don't know why I put off baking these until the last minute but I did. And I know these were supposed to be Coconut Butter Thins but I ended up with Coconut Butter Wedges -- I changed the baking 'method,' instead of the rolling out in a bag and doing squares I decided to pat the dough into the bottom of my 10 inch springform pan, then cut the cookies into wedges.


I love 'wedge cookies' and after reading the P&Q regarding these I noted that some people had spreading issues with these and some people had shortbread style cookies. When I first read the recipe I expected spread out lacy cookies because Dorie mentions how fragile these cookies are, but I must admit I prefer the shortbread consistency over lacy cookies, and since these were going either way with the TWD bakers I didn't feel too guilty deviating from Dorie's directions and baking them like I did.


Here are the other things I did with this recipe...my two sticks of butter went straight from the fridge to the microwave to soften for 20 seconds because it was late and I forgot to leave butter out at room temperature, oops! I totally skipped the chilling of the dough for these and just hoped for the best. I turned *up* the oven temperature for this recipe (I'm always changing around oven temps but usually lowering them) -- I started out at 350 for 20 minutes, then went to 375 for 8 minutes to finish them, I was periodically checking and just took them out when I felt they looked done.


I will make sure to try them 'as written' per baking instructions next time, as for ingredient changes, the only swap I did was to switch lime zest for lemon. And I do love lime, so will try that again on my next bake of these, I just happened to have a lone lemon left from my last bag of lemons and wanted to use it up.

These cookies were amazing! Probably my personal favorite TWD cookie we've made so far. The flavor was just perfect and the texture was not too hard or crunchy, but more soft and chewy, with nice bits of crunch from the macadamia nuts. I can see making these again often, yum!

16 comments:

Pamela said...

They look so delicious as a wedge cookie! To me, it looks like they are begging for a cup of tea to be eaten with, and I would happily oblige.

NKP said...

They look great! You got some good colour on them - I think I should have left mine in longer.

Peggy said...

Oh you made scones of yours! They really look delicious. I would have liked mine to have been a bit thicker. But I ate them all anyway!!!

Amanda said...

I like the "twist" on things by putting in a pan vs. rolling out. I too enjoyed this cookies. Yours look great!

Flourchild said...

LOL I had to crack up at your husband bringing 2 pounds of Mac.nuts home. It sounds like something my husband would do...I don't dare send him to the store cus he comes back with triple the amount I asked for! Gotta love those men!
Im sooo happy you loved your cookies. They look great and I love your idea of cutting them into wedges..super cute!
I thought they tasted yummy and man did the house smell scrumptious while they were baking!
Another winner from Doire!

Cathy said...

Ingenious baking method, Andrea! I think this is definitely my favorite non-chocolate TWD cookie so far. Yours look great!

snicketmom said...

Those look wonderful that way! Plus, you could say, "I ate only one wedge" instead of "I ate 10 cookies" and it sounds better!

Leslie said...

How inspired to bake these in your springform pan! I love this idea. I was also happy they weren't lacy as Dorie had said, but I think I would have liked them if they were because the flavor was so fantastic.

Unknown said...

Cookies wedges were a great idea! They look wonderful.

Ginger said...

OK OK OK!! Your Coconut Butter Wedges look amazing. Thanks for sharing your technique on how to make them. I would like two please? I would ask for the whole batch, but I didn't want to be rude.

Deb in Hawaii said...

They look wonderful. I like the wedge shape and they look so rich and buttery!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I AM SO MAKING THESE AS WEDGES NEXT TIME!

Linda said...

I love the thickness of your cookies --- it give you something to bite into! Mine turned out very differently, and it's been fun to visit everyone's blogs see how everyone did.

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful wedges. What a great idea pressing them in the pan. Mine spread everywhere and weren't the most beautiful cookie but they were delicious.

TeaLady said...

Wedges. That is how they should be. Beautiful. Just bring me a cup of tea and I would be in heaven.

Anonymous said...

oh, those look amazing! I think I might have to search around and swipe the recipe.

~Cat

Related Posts with Thumbnails