Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Trio of Irish Breads -- My Kitchen My World Ireland


Our second country of March for the cooking group My Kitchen My World is Ireland, in honor of St. Patrick's Day! This is actually the second time MKMW has visited Ireland, here was our first trip. This time around I decided to try out a couple new breads and a new version of Irish Soda Bread.

First we have St. Brigid's Oaten bread... Ireland's Saint Brigid is traditionally honored by leaving a bread for her on the windowsill, on Saint Brigid's Day, February 1st (sorry St. Brigid, we are a little late :) -- the whole familiy will also share bread in honor of the saint. I think that making this bread and telling the kids the story of St. Brigid will be a fun little tradition to start next February. This was my favorite bread of the trio. It was crunchy outside and soft and oatey inside. Just perfect served with butter and honey. I used this recipe and mixed it in the food processor, I did add 1/4 cup extra flour to the dough but other than that kept everything the same. I was a little nervous about the high baking temperature but since I was unfamiliar with this type of bread I went with it and it turned out just fine.
Before and after baking...


The second bread was a traditional Irish Soda Bread made with raisins (even though the raisins aren't traditional they are commonly added and the kids love 'em)...


Before and after baking...

The third bread I tried I made based on title alone, "Do Be Careful" Teacakes -- I just loved the saying that went with this recipe, "Eat hot, and do be careful not to drip the butter on your clothes and do be careful not to eat too many, or indigestion will ensue." Anyway, these were more like rolls than what I would consider traditional muffin-like teacakes, and the flavor is quite interesting. Probably my least favorite of the bunch but still good, I think they will make great little sandwich buns.

I had a lot of fun making these breads for MKMW Ireland and the kids are bread fiends like I am so I'm sure these will be gone in no time :)

7 comments:

Michelle Dargen said...

All three look beautiful. I love the "Do be careful" teacakes. The directions are awesome!

NKP said...

"Do be careful"
So cute!
I made bread for MKMW too! It is just in it's last rise, will post this evening.
Love your study in Irish breads - especially the soda bread with raisins - yummy!

Mrs M. said...

I love the name of the tea cakes too! You must have been a busy baker.

I have never been able to get a soda bread to come out right, any tips?

rosasdolcevita said...

Hi Andrea,
Your breads look so delicious! I made a quick Irish soda bread and instantly fell in love with it. The next version I would like to try is with currents. :-)
I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the awesome work!

Deb in Hawaii said...

You were quite the active baker! All of them look delicious.

One of these days I am going to have to do the MKMW thing too. Natashya keeps bugging me and now that you are co-hosting... ;-)

Megan said...

Wow - you were on a baking frenzy! We are carb lovers also, so I understand.

I really wanted to try Irish Soda Bread - but time ran away from me this year!

Colleen said...

yummm... if I could, I'd only eat bread, but I know better than that. I'd love to try the oat bread.

Related Posts with Thumbnails