Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mushrooms in Parmesan Cream Sauce over Mafaldine Pasta


I came up with this extra rich and decadent pasta dish the other night after peeking in the fridge and through the pantry to see what was available to make dinner with. We had a nice wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano, some imported Mafaldine pasta -- long and thin lasagna type noodles, complete with ruffled edges -- and mushrooms. Picky husband was working late so it was the perfect time to use some mushrooms, which he doesn't like, and make a quick pasta dinner for me and the kids.


Mushrooms in Parmesan Cream Sauce over Mafaldine

1 cup cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 and 1/2 cups freshly shredded Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

5 cups thinly sliced mushrooms -- I used regular white mushrooms but I'm sure this would be fantastic with a variety
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

1 lb mafaldine pasta (any pasta would probably work)
kosher salt

Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. I like to use 1 tablespoon of salt per pound of pasta. After draining, use a little extra butter or olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking together.


While pasta is cooking, over low heat melt the butter into the cream, whisking every minute or so. When melted together, add the freshly shredded parmesan and whisk until combined, let gently simmer over medium low heat, whisking occasionally.

Also while pasta is cooking and sauce is simmering, lightly salt (about 1/2 tsp of kosher is fine, or to taste, you may need more) and saute the mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until they have released their moisture and browned nicely. Add the butter and swirl around to coat the mushrooms.


Gently mix the mushrooms into the cream sauce, taste and adjust salt, and serve over pasta.


This was a delicious indulgent dish, my kids and my mom who was over for dinner enjoyed it very much, and of course I loved it. Use Parmigiano Reggiano if you can find it, for an even stronger parmesan flavor. Parmigiano Reggiano is the 'true' Parmesan cheese, made exclusively in the Italian provinces of Parma, Reggio-Emilia, Modena, and specific regions in the provinces of Bologna and Mantua and imported to the US. If you can't find it, regular freshly grated Parmesan is fine. This is my submission for Presto Pasta Nights #181, hosted this week by Abby of Eat The Right Stuff, thank you Abby!

6 comments:

Abby said...

mafaldine is the perfect pasta for a creamy sauce - i think there is an almost identical dish on my blog! thanks for sharing with ppn

abby
www.eattherightstuff.com

Julie said...

This looks so yummy and comforting. Perfect for the Fall days we're starting to see.

I am not sure I've seen this pasta before. I am going to look for it in the store when I go.

The Food Hunter said...

Looks creamy and delicious

Claudia said...

My husband is the same about mushrooms. Just doesn't get the point. Maybe our taste buds are more refined? I really love the fungi of the world, and this dish showcases them beautifully.

Deeba PAB said...

G O R G E O U S!! I love how indulgent it looks!

Naomi said...

OMG that looks amazing, I will have to make it for myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails