Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sweet Melissa French Pancakes


Time again for Sweet Melissa Sundays, our treat today is crepes! Called Mom's French Pancakes in The Sweet Melissa Baking Book, this recipe is from author Melissa Murphy's great grandmother and loved by all in her family. Thank you to Jaime of Good Eats and Sweet Treats, who picked this recipe for us to try. You can find this recipe here at Jaime's blog if you do not have the book.


The kids and I absolutely love crepes and I was so happy to make this recipe because I hadn't made crepes in a long time. Picky husband doesn't like crepes, can you believe that? Apparently it's a texture thing, although I'm not sure how anyone could not enjoy a delicate crepe enveloping a plethora of filling combinations.


Sweet crepes, savory crepes, doesn't matter which to me, they have always been a favorite. If there are crepes on the menu at a restaurant I will probably order them. I'm especially fond of savory crepes, ricotta or vegetable filled, with a cream or red sauce...mmm.

I used to try to make crepes on my own without much success, then about five years ago I got the VillaWare Grand Crepe Maker and have enjoyed using it since. I don't know if they still make the "Grand" crepe maker -- that makes 10 inch crepes, but I know a smaller model VillaWare Crepe Maker is available -- which makes 7 and 1/2 inch crepes.


I know I'm a bit of a kitchen gadget junkie but I have to give props to this little contraption for helping my crepes come out beautifully every time :)


This recipe is really simple and comes together in a blender, much like my favorite crepe recipe from Alton Brown does. The end result are beautiful crepes, an empty canvas for whatever sweet topping you can think up. I went traditional with these since I had some extra strawberry sauce I had made a few days earlier for strawberry shortcake sitting in the fridge. Simply filled with whipped cream, topped with strawberry sauce and a dusting of powdered sugar, these were a delicious brunch treat.



I did made one tiny change -- the recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk, instead I used 1 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup cream -- which in my mind pretty much equals whole milk anyway, right? ;) The kids absolutely loved these, as did I -- what a wonderful treat!


Simple Strawberry Sauce

4 cups fresh hulled and thinly sliced strawberries
about 1/2 cup white sugar (you might need more depending on how sweet your berries are, adjust to taste)

Toss strawberries in sugar and put in a covered container in the fridge. Leave them to macerate in the fridge for 12-48 hours before serving. --
If you do not have time to wait, you can microwave your sugared strawberries for about 2 minutes, while that will not release as much of the juices, you should still have a decent sauce.

17 comments:

Flourchild said...

Im sorry I have to miss this one. no excuse other then I have been baking a whole bunch of fattening stuff lately..I feel like I need a break!
Oh my gosh do these look good! The filling and the crepes look incredible. I think If I had your crepe maker I would like them better. I made them a long time ago in a regular skillet and was not to thrilled with the results. Oh well Maybe I will find a crepe maker someday!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Yours look beautiful. I am not sure if any of that beauty has to do with the crepe maker but I could use one of those.

Mine got eaten as they were taken, from the pan, so I was lucky to get any photo. Yours are just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Those look beautiful (and delicious!) I always wondered how to make a nice crepe - maybe need a maker!

(And how could your husband seriously not love them?!?)

Just me said...

They look beautiful! I have a crêpe pan, but I still long for a crêpe maker like yours!

Nikki said...

these look delicious and that strawberry topping looks great!
nikki
www.makeandtakeblog.com

Stephanie said...

Yours look great! It was so hard to do that swirling motion to get the batter spread evenly - I would have LOVED their crepe gadget!!! You did the same thing I did with the milk - I used skim milk and heavy cream combined, too and it was just fine.

Shandy said...

Gorgeous Crepes! Every dish you have a photo for is perfect and beautiful.

TeaLady said...

Your crepes look fantastic. I have never made. Bet mine wouldn't be this pretty.

Tiff said...

Wow your crepes look perfect!! My mom used to have a crepe maker and after seeing your post I think I may have to get one. Really beautiful job!

Candy said...

Beautiful crepes! I do the same thing with skim milk and cream (both of which I usually have on hand) to come up with 'whole' milk!

Jaime said...

actually, I think you made a milk with an even higher fat content than whole milk!!! they look perfect, so much better than mine - what a neat kitchen gadget :) i wondered how these compared to alton's recipe when i was making them but i have not tried alton's recipe yet. thanks for joining me this week! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful French Pancakes. I wish mine had come out that nice!

Hanaâ said...

Yum, whipped cream and strawberries!! A long time I served mine with ice cream and macerated strawberries. Big hit! This time around I filled them simply with some preserves. Btw, I made mine with 1% milk and they were fine. The way I see it, it gives you a bigger allowance to go less healthy on the filling :o)

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Gorgeous! Your crepes looks so yummy. I would have loved some strawberries to go with mine. Now that I know how easy these are I will definitely make them again. Your crepe looks so cool!

Julie said...

Beautiful! Love the way these look on the dark plate. The strawberry sauce looks so delicious.

superman said...

they looks so beautiful and delicious.. The strawberry toppings is so cute!

Alaska Fishing Lodge | Real Estate

alex said...

looks so delicious..

Edina MN Realty
Minnesota Real Estate
Local Internet Marketing
Gift Baskets
baby gift baskets
Christmas Gift Baskets

Related Posts with Thumbnails