Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mango Pineapple Bread -- Tuesdays with Dorie


Thank you to Kelly of Baking with the Boys, who selected Fresh Mango Bread as our Tuesdays with Dorie treat of the week. I was really excited about this recipe, I love fruity quick breads and couldn't wait to give this recipe a try.

Unfortunately, the mangoes I specifically bought for this bread went bad in my produce drawer in the fridge, and I didn't notice until I was about to make this bread. We live way too far away to drive "to town" for one ingredient that might or might not be available :( I remembered reading a substitution suggestion of pineapple in the P&Q section on the TWD site, and thought that sounded like a great idea.


Since I had some mango jam in the pantry (which I order from netgrocer, don't even think about finding mango jam around here), I opened that up and added 1/4 cup mango jam to the bread batter, just to give a little mango flavor to my sad mango-less mango bread.


This bread turned out great, a little crispy on the edges, nice and moist inside. I'm excited to taste it after it has had a chance to rest overnight. Update: this bread is even better after resting for a night, the kids and I loved it and will be making it again for sure! Picky husband doesn't eat pineapple, but I bet he'll have a taste when I make it with mangoes. I have to apologize to Kelly that I didn't get to make this recipe as written, but promise to try it again with mangoes as soon as I get my hands on some.



Before and after baking...served with butter and more mango jam :)

19 comments:

Cristine said...

Great substitution! And I bet it was tasty with that jam on top! YUM!

Marthe said...

owww... Mango jam, that sounds absolutely delicious, I'm sure your bread was really good, I loved mine!

vibi said...

Ahhhh... Andrea, pineapple will do just fine! LOL LOL ...with a cup of tea, please!

It turned out beautiful! And had you not said anything... no one would have known the difference! LOL

Megan said...

Mango jam? Such an ingredient exists and I don't know about it? I must find some, and soon!

Debbie said...

Ahh, mango jam sounds so good. The bread looks delicious!

Teanna DiMicco said...

Ooooh mango jam! I need me some of that!!!! It looks SO GOOD! I LOVED this bread!

Anonymous said...

Wow, mango jam? That's awesome!

~Cat

Anonymous said...

Mango jam sounds amazing. YUM. Your bread looks fantastic.

Elyse said...

I bet this bread is absolutely fabulous with the pineapple and mango jam. Sounds delicious!! I really like the way you changed the recipe up. It's true that necessity is the mother of all invention :)

chocolatechic said...

OH...it looks and sounds fabulous.

I added cinnamon chips to mine,

Hindy said...

Just how I like my quick bread, with butter and jam! Love the rich colour of your bread too.

Leslie said...

Talk about making the best out of a bad thing! You really snatched victory from the jaws of defeat!

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks soo 'nummy'! What a great idea to add mango jam to the bread! I'd like to try that too.

Michele said...

Pineapple and mango jam! What great ideas.

Amber Marie said...

Pineapple sounds yummy and I like that you added the mango jam - yum! I agree that this is even better the next day after everything sits.

Anonymous said...

Pineapple was a good sub. I've never heard of mango jam before but it sounds great!

Pamela said...

Hmmmm...I guess I'll have to give some pineapple a try now. Looks wonderful.

NKP said...

Looks great! Picky hubby doesn't know what he's missing.

TeaLady said...

Pineapple. Great. Mango jam. Wow!!! Lovely loaf.

Related Posts with Thumbnails