Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Rum Orange Glaze -- Sweet Melissa Sundays


This week for Sweet Melissa Sundays, Lorelei of Mermaid Sweets picked Melissa's Sweet Potato Bread with Cinnamon Rum Orange Glaze from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book for us to bake. You can find the recipe here online -- if you do not have the book. The recipe calls for two 15 ounce cans of sweet potato, and after reading that I knew I would love to sub in pumpkin since I had a big 29 ounce can of pumpkin that had been waiting to be used in my pantry for way too long :)


I do love sweet potato, but am not a fan of the canned version and would have probably went with a fresh sweet potato, baked and then pureed. Anyway, this was an easy to put together recipe, and makes a huge batch, that bakes in a bundt pan.

I used my Wilton Queen of Hearts pan, this is sentimental favorite of mine because I got it when my husband and I got married seven years ago, wow, has it really been that long?!?

The glaze is delicious, it calls for freshly squeezed orange juice, sugar, rum, and two cinnamon sticks. I didn't have any cinnamon sticks so used 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead and the flavor was perfect.


Picky husband said this reminded him of pumpkin pie but would only have one bite...must have been the pecans I snuck in there. The kids were fan of this one, and I thought it was pretty tasty as well. It is great as a snack or breakfast treat, and the house smelled amazing while it was baking, thanks to the cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mmm.


14 comments:

Cristine said...

Love your pan! Bet it was great with pumpkin!

Nina said...

Love your pan. Looks great! As for the pecan, I left them out, sometimes people just don't like them.

Leslie said...

Your bread is adorable! I had to skip this one but it sure sounds good...

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed this recipe, it looks really good!
I made three mini loafs, it turned out great!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Your bread is gorgeous! What a cool pan. I loved the glaze on this recipe. Very tasty!

Unknown said...

How cute is your cake - love that pan! I used sweet potatoes, but I thought the cake tasted just like pumpkin too :)

Tessa said...

Our house smelled amazing too while it was baking! Glad your family seemed to like it.

I love you pan. The hearts are adorable. And bonus points that it has sentimental value. How cute!

Tiff said...

Your cake looks beautiful, love the pan. Also great idea spreading butter on it. I will have to try that for breakfast.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks delicious! I love that pan and the glaze sounds really amazing.
;-)

Candy said...

I love your pan and would love to have one! Your bread looks divine.

Jaime said...

looks wonderful. wish i would have thought to use pumpkin! i didn't have sweet potatoes and didn't have time to go to the store

k.a.r.e.n said...

Looks delicious!

Mara Campbell said...

I love your bundt pan!!! The bread looks so yummy in that pan. I loved this recipe!

Hanaâ said...

Oooooh pretty. Love that pan! I'm sure it's great with pumpkin. Glad your kids liked it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails