Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rum Drenched Vanilla Cakes -- Tuesdays with Dorie


Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! Today's treat, Rum Drenched Vanilla Cakes, was picked for us to try by Wendy of Pink Stripes -- thank you, Wendy! I was really excited to get back in the swing of baking with these cakes. These are a treat that really caught my eye in Dorie's book and probably a recipe I would have picked to bake even if they weren't a TWD pick. They just sound so delicious.

The recipe uses two loaf pans and I decided to switch things up a bit by using a silicone mini bundt-ish pan for most of the batter and a mini loaf pan for the remainder.

I thought the mini cakes would be so cute, but after baking, I think this cake is actually prettier as a loaf cake.


Either way, they were delicious! I used vanilla bean paste and doubled the amount, since vanilla is one of my favorite flavors. As for the rum, I used spiced instead of dark, since we only had spiced or light available in our liquor cabinet.


Two out of three kids enjoyed these (sans glaze) and picky husband said they were pretty good. I would have loved to serve these with some sugared strawberries, mmm! Maybe next time...

9 comments:

Kayte said...

Oh, minis are such a great idea for this recipe, I need to try those soon. Making the lemon version this weekend, minis might be the way to go! Yours look wonderful.

Kimberly Johnson said...

I love your tiny minis! So cute!

Nickki said...

Your mini cakes are lovely! Very pretty :)

Hindy said...

The nice thing about this recipe was that it really didn't need any fussing with fruit or icing. the cake was so darn good on its own.
Love your little bundts!

Tia said...

i love the shape. goes great with this recipe.

TeaLady said...

Big or little this was a GOOD cake.

but I do love your little cakeletts.

Peggy said...

Very cute mini bundt cakes!
Did you get my email? :)

Susan said...

I almost made mini bundts, but went with half the recipe and did a loaf. Yours looks great both ways. :)

superman said...

they are looks so cute and delicious..

Alaska Fishing Lodge | Real Estate

Related Posts with Thumbnails