Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Simple Strawberry Jam


This delicious treat started last summer when I made my first homemade jam. I found this recipe at allrecipes and it turned out perfectly. I have not canned before and was a little too nervous about it so I just put my jars in the freezer. We had amazing strawberry jam up until a couple of weeks ago thanks to pulling a jar from the freezer whenever we ran out. I can't wait to make jam again next summer after a fun family day picking strawberries at the patch.

Simple Strawberry Jam
from allrecipes

2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berry. I didn't mash mine, just left them whole for a chunkier jam.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil.

Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal. Process in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate. I just put the jars in the freezer (the first one went in the fridge) and pulled them out as needed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails