Saturday, April 21, 2012

Guacamole Sampler


I love avocados but guacamole for me is hit or miss. Sometimes it has just too many indiscernible add-ins for my liking. I was excited to try some of Rick Bayless's guacamole recipes, he has so many varieties to choose from.  I thought I would start with the basics and try two of the three recipes for Guacamole Three Ways from his book Mexican Everyday; Simple Guacamole which can then be turned into Herby Guacamole.

Simple Guacamole
Rick Bayless -- Mexican Everyday
makes 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups

2 medium ripe avocados
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
Salt

To make it herby, add:
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
About 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Cut the avocados in half, running your knife around the pit from stem to blossom end and back up again. Twist the halves in opposite directions to free the pit, and pull the halves apart. Dislodge the pit, then scoop the avocado flesh into a medium bowl.


Mash the avocado with a large fork or potato masher. Stir in the garlic and about 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus any other sets of ingredients you've chosen. Taste and season with additional salt if appropriate. If not using immediately cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate - preferably for no more than a few hours.


~~~~~


I made these guacamoles for a quick lunch for my four year old and myself one day while my other two kids were at school and picky husband was at work. Picky husband does not like avocado and has never wanted to try guacamole.  If it comes with his dish at Mexican restaurants he always passes it on to me :)


The simple guacamole was my favorite. To me it was the best guacamole ever, since it was such a nice pure avocado taste. The herby guacamole was nice too but I liked the simple one better. My four year old liked them both equally and we both enjoyed this nice little lunch snack. I'm looking forward to trying some of Rick's other guacamole variations as we cook his recipes with I Heart Cooking Clubs for the next six months.

6 comments:

Heather S-G said...

I love guacamole simple or complex...pass the bowl my way!! :D

pinkstripes said...

I love avocados and I love guacamole.YUM.

Michelle B said...

I also tend to like the simple versions...a less is more kind of thing. But I do dig very garicky guac. I never realized how variable guacamole can be until looking through Rick Bayless' recipes.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I normally prefer the simple guacs too, but I made the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa this week and used it in his Tangy Green Guacamole and think I found a new favorite. Who knew?! ;-)

Both versions you made look wonderful to me.

Debbie said...

I think it depends on my mood which kind I like the most. as a rule tho, simple is always best.
They look great!

NKP said...

Sometimes simple is best - and so cute in the little heart shaped bowls!

Related Posts with Thumbnails