Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mushroom Pizza Rustica


This week for Tuesdays with Dorie we made a Pizza Rustica! I wasn't quite sure what a Pizza Rustica was, I thought it was more like a filled two crusted pizza but this to me was more like a savory ricotta pie and it was pretty yummy! 


Since I don't eat meat I swapped out the prosciutto for some mushrooms sauteed in butter and brandy.  They were delicious. I even got a double mushroom! How fun! 


Above are the mushrooms just starting to cook...and below they are being added to the ricotta and cheese mixture.


For the ricotta I used a mixture of two brands, Biazzo was wetter than the Frigo but they tasted pretty much the same (I am a ricotta fan and did a little ricotta taste test :) )


The lattice top was a little tricky. I usually forget to use my ruffled pastry cutter so it was nice to have a reason to pull it out.


Below is my Pizza Rustica before going into the oven.  It baked up nicely although I did add an extra 5 minutes or so on to the cooking time.  Picky husband does not like ricotta cheese so he passed on this one (I also made a lasagna that night since I knew this would be a tough sell) and my kids all tried it but didn't like it.  Thank goodness I had my mom over for dinner when this was served because she really enjoyed it and could appreciate something like this.  I liked it as well and am really glad I added the mushrooms since they added a nice depth of flavor. I packed up half of the pie for my mom to take home and I will probably have some as leftovers for lunch this week.


20 comments:

Sweet and That's it said...

Mushrooms: what a great idea!
Your Pizza Rustica looks fantastic!

Ei said...

Oooh, this sounds really good. How can someone not like ricotta cheese?? haha

Flourchild said...

Its good you and your mom liked it! My family loved it!!

Janis said...

What a wonderful idea to put mushrooms!! Looks absolutely tasty! I love how you decorated the crust of your pie too :-)

Paula Montenegro said...

Nice dough crimping! And the mushroom alternative is really good

jen said...

Wow!!! It came out soo pretty!!! I'm jealous.. :)

Dolores said...

MMmmm... love the mushroom/butter/brandy combination. Thanks for sharing!

Judy said...

The sauteed mushrooms are an inspired idea. Maybe when the kids are older they'll like it. My older daughter loved it, my younger daughter didn't even taste it. Oh well.

pinkstripes said...

Mushrooms! A good vegetarian option. Your pizza rustica looks great.

ostwestwind said...

I like the mushrooms, great idea!

Ulrike @Küchenlatein

Anonymous said...

Good idea on the mushrooms! I would like to do this again with shredded chicken and mushrooms - yum!

Wannabe baker said...

Looks good! I used mushrooms too and was glad I added them.

pamkaren said...

Great idea to add mushrooms. Your pie looks great!

Cher Rockwell said...

Mushrooms = great idea.
We had ours for lunch for a few days as well :-)
Looks good - nice lattice work.

Amanda said...

I LOVE mushrooms, this looks so delicious! And I am so jealous of your pastry cutter!

Strychnine said...

The mushrooms sounds great! Nice job :)

Kathy said...

Mushrooms are a great add in! Your pie looks beautiful!

lauren said...

It's was so nice you were able to share with your mom. And you should try making your own ricotta - I did and it's super easy!

Kate said...

Looks great, like the idea of the mushrooms

jane of many trades said...

great idea to swap out the meat and go for mushrooms!

Related Posts with Thumbnails