Monday, April 20, 2009

Mini Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling


This recipe was picked for Sweet Melissa Sundays by Tracey of Tracey’s Culinary Adventures, thanks Tracey! You can visit her site for the recipe. I know it's already Monday and I'm a day late, sorry! This past week has been a whirlwind, we had our first ER visit when my daughter accidentally broke her snow globe and cut her hand and needed stitches, and I also hosted a double birthday brunch at our house, talk about a wild week. When I joined Sweet Melissa Sundays I fully intended to bake every recipe (and post on time!) so I feel really bad that I missed last week's Brooklyn Brown-out Cake (which I WILL make) and was not going to let myself miss two weeks in a row even if I had to post late. I hope you guys can understand!


When I saw that Tracey had picked this recipe for us to try I was really excited, caramel apples, turnovers, and ricotta are some of my favorites. My husband is also a huge caramel apple and turnover fan, ricotta, not so much. So what I did was halve the ricotta mixture and instead of making big turnovers made little ones (9 little squares cut into one puff pastry sheet).

Three of the turnovers were caramel apple and ricotta and six were just caramel apple. For the apples I cut the quarters into tiny thin squares (I was going for apple pie consistency) instead of the 1/4 inch dices, and I also subbed brown sugar for white sugar. I was reaching in the pantry for the 1/4 cup of sugar called for and as I passed the brown sugar I decided that would be great for a little extra flavor depth.



Before and after baking...


I baked them at the suggested 375 on an insulated baking sheet for 20 minutes. I had set the timer for 25 minutes, but when I checked at 20 they were perfect. We absolutely loved these, the cinnamon sugar on the egg wash on top was a great touch. I was so happy to try this recipe and I'm sure we'll be making them again :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does sound like you had a wild week. Hopefully this week is calmer. Your turnovers look great and I'm glad they were a hit.

Hope said...

These look super! I have a container of ricotta and some aging apples that need to be turned into these! Thank you for the idea!!

http://hopeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/

NKP said...

They are adorable! No one minds a day late, don't even worry about that.
Hope the little one is feeling better.

Megan said...

Yikes - broken snowglobes are no fun for little ones. Hope she's okay!

These were really good - I agree - and definitely worth making again!

Hanaâ said...

Your turnovers turned out great! Good idea on the brown sugar. I have to remember that one.

Cristine said...

Beautiful turnovers! What a crazy week! Hope everything has calmed down!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Andrea, your turnovers look great -worth the wait, I'd say! I know that I can't make every recipe, but they have been pretty yummy to date so it's hard to miss. Glad they were a hit with you both.
Nacy

Elyse said...

Your turnovers look great!! I hope your daughter is doing okay. Stitches are always a scary experience. Who knew a snow globe could be so dangerous? Go figure; I manage to make the most mundane items dangerous :) Hope this week is less hectic than the past one!

superman said...

Your turnovers looks amazing! And sounds wonderful.

Alaska Fishing Lodge | Real Estate

mj said...

Wow! That sounds really amazing!
Your turnovers turned out great!


Alaska Hunting Guides

Anonymous said...

Hello..Thank's for sharing this...I love "Apple" all of the combination of "Apple".

Seattle Bankruptcy | Los Angeles Self Storage Pods | NEC Phone Systems

Related Posts with Thumbnails