Friday, April 24, 2009

Parker House Rolls -- Tyler Florence Fridays


The first time I noticed a recipe for Parker House Rolls was in a Taste of Home cookbook years ago and I was drawn in by the butter and milk dough and how pillowy soft and fluffy they looked. I never did try that recipe, but I'm happy to report that Tyler Florence's version is just as delicious as I'd imagined Parker House Rolls to be. This is now our standard roll recipe and everyone loves them. Even though this isn't a "bread machine recipe" -- I have to note that I've also tried this recipe in the bread machine starting on the dough cycle and finishing baking in the oven with wonderful results, which makes these perfect rolls even easier to prepare.

Tyler's Parker House Rolls
from Stirring the Pot

3 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup whole milk, plus 2 tablespoons for brushing rolls
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups all-purpose flour

Combine yeast with warm water and the sugar in a kitchen stand mixer bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to dissolve and activate yeast. In a small saucepan heat 6 tablespoons of the butter and the 1 cup whole milk over low heat; stirring occasionally until butter melts. Add the milk mixture to the yeast. Using the hook attachment on the mixer, fold in the bread flour and salt. Gradually add all-purpose flour to make a dough. (Add only enough all-purpose flour as you need, the dough should come together in a ball that is neither too wet nor too dry.)

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead five to six times until dough is smooth and elastic (do not overwork dough or rolls will be tough). Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a warm place for approximately 1 hour until the dough had doubled in volume.

Butter a 9x5 inch baking dish. ( I used a 9 by 13, can't picture how they would turn out in a 9 by 5) Form the dough into 12 to 14 equal-sized balls. Arrange the balls in the baking dish so they are in rows just touching one another, then cover with a layer of plastic wrap, then the towel.

Set aside to rise again. Once they have doubled in volume again (about 40 minutes)

Use a pair of kitchen scissors to snip the tops of each bun twice, forming an "x". Set aside for another 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 (I did 350). Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the rolls with milk. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Let the rolls cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a rack. Serve with butter.

Results and Changes: These tasted wonderful and were easy to make, I especially liked the little "x" cut on top, I'd never done that with rolls before. I did drop the baking temperature to 350 and they were perfectly done at 20 minutes. We all loved these, they make great little sandwich buns and are great with butter and jam or honey for breakfast :)

8 comments:

NKP said...

I think the 9X5 must have been a typo, I couldn't picture it either.
Your rolls looks so beautifully soft, like the comfiest matress ever. I could just curl up and go to sleep on that pillowy cloud of buns.

Megan said...

Ok - Natashya's got the pasta, you've got the bread - I'll bring dessert! Now I simply must make those - they look so good!

And you always have such nice pictures!

Anonymous said...

I love them! I love the little peaks. Your rolls look perfect.

Elyse said...

Those parker house rolls look incredible. I was just thinking that my apartment is sorely lacking in groceries right now. I have no bread or meat. And then, I saw these rolls, and I thought to myself: I may not be able to make meat, but I could really rectify my bread situation! I want these rolls right now!!

Michele said...

Wow! These are literally picture perfect!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Those are the most gorgeously perfect rolls I have ever seen! I want one with some homemade strawberry jam please! ;-)

vibi said...

WOW! What great baking skills you have... amazing!

Unknown said...

okay must have done something wrong I tried there twice and they did not rise either time they were hard and dense! Yours look so beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails