Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chipotle Cheddar Bread


After all of the sweet treats I've been baking lately, I was in the mood for something savory and found this recipe in one of my mini cookbooks. After googling it, I found that someone posted on recipezaar, it really is an easy (one bowl!) and delicious savory quick bread.


Zesty Cheddar Bread
a Betty Crocker/Gold Medal Flour recipe

1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt



Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I baked this at 350!)
Spray the bottom of a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray (I used Bakers Joy and sprayed the whole pan).

Combine the buttermilk, butter, sugar, chilies and eggs in a large bowl. Mix well. Add in remaining ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Spread in the loaf pan.


Bake 40-50 minutes (mine was perfectly done at 40 minutes at 350) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan.

This bread was so delicious! I loved it warm with a little butter, and bet it would be great with a creamy potato soup or corn chowder. It had a nice crunchy crust and was still soft and tender inside. It had a little heat from the peppers, but wasn't overwhelmingly spicy. You could always leave out the chilies or only add 1 tbsp to lessen the heat if you have some sensitive palates you are cooking for.

This one is going into the make again file for sure. Recently I decided that I wanted to go through some cookbooks that I never use, and this recipe just caught my eye after randomly picking this book, Betty Crocker -- Gold Medal Flour, Soups & Breads off the shelf. Can't wait to see what other little recipe treasures I find in this one :)

4 comments:

Lara said...

This sounds amazing. Im thinking, just thinking, what do you think about using 1 cup flour and 1 cup corn meal? I know it would be denser, but I think the combination might produce a lighter version of a corn bread, yet a heavier version of a normal bread. Also maybe add in some black olives....or maybe Im over thinking a good thing...

NKP said...

Yum! I bet it would be fabulous with chili.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm...great with chili, tortilla soup, tomato soup--what wouldn't it be good with!? ;-)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

WOW what a killer recipe - I cannot wait to make this next time I make chili as they will be best friends!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails