Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Honey Wheat Cookies -- Tuesdays with Dorie


Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! Our treat today, Honey Wheat Cookies, was picked by one of the sweetest blogging friends I have, Michelle at Flourchild. Thanks for a wonderful pick, Michelle! These cookies are delicious! They were one of the stand out recipes for me that was noticed right after I got Baking From My Home To Yours, and I am so glad these goodies finally got picked. They sure were worth the wait, and have me wishing I would have tried this recipe on my own a long time ago.


I love that these cookies use wheat germ, something that I had never tried until 2004 when I was pregnant with my first child and I had read about it being a good source of omega-3s, I think it was on a list of foods that was recommended by my ob, if I remember correctly. I bought a jar of it and used it on yogurt with fruit and oatmeal, but didn't know of any recipes using it.


These cookies also feature honey, one of my favorite flavors! I used a local orange blossom honey that I recently bought for these, see about how dark it is? It really kicked up the citrus zing in these from the lemon zest. This was my first jar of orange blossom honey and I wasn't sure what to expect but you really can taste a little hint of citrus in it, I of course had to do a taste test with all of the honey varieties in my pantry, and was surprised how much I noticed the citrus in the orange blossom honey.


These Honey Wheat gems were easy to make and baked up beautifully soft and a little chewy. They are the perfect cookie texture to me and I look forward to making them many times again :)


9 comments:

Paula said...

Using flavored honey sounds like a wonderful idea. Perfect with the lemon.

Amanda said...

They look great! I liked these, not a fave, but good ;)

Bella Baker said...

Your cookies look great! I really enjoyed these as well! Orange Blossom honey sounds amazing!

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed the cookies, they look great! Thank you for baking along with me this week.
I had not checked my blog post and just realized there was no spacing at all..I had to go back and edit it!

Susan said...

Your cookies look perfect! I really liked these. Maybe too much! :D

Flourchild said...

My comment to you sounded so uniform I had to come back and say thank you for your kind words, you are my sweetest blogging friend too!

NKP said...

Almost health food! They look yummy. :)

Kayte said...

Wow you have great photos...the last one looks like I could just pick one of the cookies off the page and eat it...your cookies look perfect. I loved these, so perfect with a cup of tea as the honey and lemon are already built right in. What a deal!

Pamela said...

I used the honey crunch wheat germ, too. Very tasty and your cookies look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails