Friday, March 25, 2011

Norwegian Waffles


Our My Kitchen My World destination for the month of March is Norway and I decided to make some traditional Norwegian waffles. Norwegian waffles are usually made on a heart shaped waffle iron, thinner than the Belgian waffles we are used to for breakfast here in the USA. Waffles for breakfast in Norway are a real treat, and are often served for dessert. If asked what food most reminds me of my visit to Norway years ago, I'd have to say waffles.



Norwegian Waffles
Mrs. Olson's Norwegian Waffles, recipe from ehow

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 stick butter melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon



Heat the waffle iron.

Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and whisk together.

Add the milk and sour cream and whisk, again mixing well.

Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and mix gently.

Add the melted butter and mix well. Pour batter into waffle iron. Cook for 4 minutes or until timer goes off.


~~~

These waffles were absolutely delicious, soft and tender, just like a Norwegian waffle should be. My kids gobbled them up with some whipped cream and sugared lingonberries and said this was one of their favorite waffles, no one even asked about maple syrup!

I had been wanting to try some Ski Queen Gjetost cheese, which has a caramel color and is made with goats milk and imported from Norway. I ordered a tiny square online for $11. From what I've read this cheese is supposed to be very thinly sliced with a cheese knife and served with toast or crackers, or over warm waffles to melt slightly. A little goes a long way!

My kids weren't crazy for the gjetost, but when I tried it I found the taste very familiar, I know I've had it somewhere before, perhaps Norway? I just didn't remember or realize what it was at the time. Some say it's an acquired taste, but I liked it. I don't think I'll be ordering it often, but it was nice to give it a try.

All in all, a very fun Norwegian breakfast! I'm sure I'll be making these waffles often, they really surprised me with how tender and flavorful they were. Until we take the family on vacation to Norway, these will do just fine :)

2 comments:

Kayte said...

I have my recipe all picked out, I have set aside a time to make it, and I am determined to get my post to you before the very last moment. We shall see. I love, love, love your waffles...those are so pretty in that heart shape. Love your toppings as well and would love to try that cheese on one...such inspiration from you this month...might have to add that waffle iron to my Christmas list.

Anonymous said...

These would have been great for Valentines day. I always used to have waffles on trips to the seaside as a kid so I think of them as an afternoon snack food. Never tried that cheese but would certainly give it a go if I had the chance.

Related Posts with Thumbnails