Tuesday, February 1, 2011

King Sized Great Grains Muffins


Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! Our treat this week is less like the sweet treats we are used to making and more of a breakfast baked good, introducing Great Grains Muffins. The photo of these in Baking From My Home To Yours looks absolutely delicious to me and I couldn't wait to give them a try. Thank you to Christine at Happy Tummy, who picked these for us to try this week!


I was planning to bake these up in my Nordic Ware train cakelet pan, with a snappy title of Great Grains Muffin Train, cute, huh? But, much to the disappointment of my Thomas the Train loving {read obsessed} three year old, I can not find that pan -- it's not where I thought it was and after digging around a bit I decided to just use my Wilton King Size Muffin pan (that I've had for a while but never used) instead.

This pan really is king sized, I could only fill five muffin cups, even though I made the full recipe of muffin batter!

Before and after baking shot, my muffins ended up all different heights since I didn't distribute the batter evenly...

Oh-well, they were still delicious! My two boys who are home today loved them and I'm sure my daughter will enjoy hers for an after school snack -- or half of one anyway. I baked them for exactly 20 minutes at 400 and they were perfectly done, for add-ins I used dried cherries, no nuts today. I think these would be wonderful with some shredded cheddar baked in as well, maybe next time :) On a side note, we are currently under a blizzard warning and I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about the expected snow!

6 comments:

Kayte said...

Those are such fun, I have never seen that pan before. Those muffins from it make quite a statement, guys here with big appetites would LOVE that size of muffin. I wonder why I have never seen that pan before. Your muffins look wonderful.

Jodie said...

Wow, what a fun pan! Those are large muffins! :)

Tia said...

love the pan! and your pics are grat too.nice job Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

Pamela said...

I like that last pic of the muffins. They're so tall and stately. I lost a tart pan thank to my boys playing in the kitchen. Hope your pan turns up soon.

Flourchild said...

So did you get a lot of snow? I hope so since your looking fwd to it!
Your muffins look great...love them big like that! I thought this was a great recipe..love it that you can tweek it so many different ways! I added chocolate chips and flax seed in place of the corn meal!
See ya next week...well maybe..Im still thinking about the bread pudding!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Fun pictures of your king size muffins. These would have been adorable in the train pan too. :) I bet cheese in these would be really good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails