Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Apricot Rugelach


Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! Our treat of the week is Rugelach! I love Rugelach and blogged about them previously when we made them with Tuesdays with Dorie a couple of years ago. Fruit and nut cookies are my favorites so I was excited to have an excuse to make these, usually I only do them for the holidays.


I was actually a little late making these Rugelach since the past weekend was fully devoted to my sweetheart who turned 6 on March 4th! Oh how time does fly! His current obsession is Sonic the Hedgehog, so I spent a good amount of time making the above cake. He absolutely loved it and we had a super fun birthday weekend.


I had never made my own lekvar before and had always used jam for my Rugelach. The apricot lekvar was very easy to make and was absolutely delicious.


For my Rugelach nuts I chose macadamias to go with the apricot and I think that was a great choice, the buttery macadamias paired perfectly with the lekvar.


Above are the nuts almost ready to be processed.


Here we have the dough ready to be rolled up. I skipped adding the dried fruit into these this time, I really wanted the lekvar to stand out since I was so impressed with it. Here they are before baking...


And here they are after. I baked them for about 17 minutes and they were perfectly done. You have to keep an eye on these in the oven, I think that they would have burned bottoms had I left them in too much longer. These were absolutely delicious, my four year old absolutely loved them and I'm sure my other two will loved them as an after school snack as well. Thank you to this week’s hosts –
Jessica of My Baking Heart and Margaret of The Urban Hiker you will be able to find the recipe for these at their sites. :)


15 comments:

Rachel S. said...

Did you roll yours up long side first? I'm just trying to figure out how you got the pin wheel shape so well. Maybe mine would work if I skipped filling it with anything besides the lekvar and cinnamon/sugar mix, but I had no luck with this.

pinkstripes said...

Your rugelach look gorgeous! Happy birthday to the birthday boy!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Yep, I did long side first, I think I read in the book to roll up "jelly roll" style so that was my take on it. Not sure if it is correct or not though :)

Ei said...

Those look so good! I love jelly-filled cookies, so these would be right up my alley.

Kate said...

They look delicious and your cake is amazing!!

Unknown said...

Yours stayed rolled so much better than mine did - I should have taken them out after 17 min. I did 20 and the bottoms burned a bit. Still delicious!!

Jules Someone said...

Those look delicious! I love the idea of the macadamia nuts!

Heather said...

Yours look great! I could not get mine to roll so well, and I kind of wish I'd thought to omit the fruit filling, too. Happy Birthday to your little one!

Unknown said...

Your rugelach look great! Happy birthday to your 6 year old! His cake is adorable.

Pamela said...

My kids would not even try these, so I am jealous that your little one ate them! They look delicious.

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

Yum, your rugelach looks delicious.
I hope your little boy had a wonderful birthday.

Elaine said...

Your cinnamon and sugar topping stayed on your rugelach so perfectly. These were great treats. Happy Birthday to your son!

Jen said...

your rugelach look amazing, but that Sonic cake steals the show! :)

Cher Rockwell said...

That cake came out beautifully (the cookies look good too)

Bev said...

The precious little guy & his cake steal the show, but your biscuits look very scrumptious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails