Saturday, March 17, 2012

Raspberry Sunday Loaf -- Random Recipe #6


This raspberry jam quick bread is my 6th Random Recipe -- where I randomly pick a cookbook and flip to a recipe from my expansive cookbook archives (ha!), in an effort to cook more from the books I own, and discover some hidden recipe treasures I never would have tried on my own.


Raspberry Sunday Loaf is a recipe from Eating Inn Style! Colorado Cook Book. This book was published in 1995 but I bought it this past Christmas season after seeing it on amazon while shopping for something. I adore Bed and Breakfasts, especially those run out of Victorian homes and have always day dream of having my own, probably something that will never happen, but you never know. So of course when I saw this cute little Victorian on the cover of this Colorado Bed and Breakfast cookbook, I had to add it to my bookshelf.


Each page has a sketch of the bed and breakfast or inn that the recipe was from. I happened to flip to Raspberry Sunday Loaf. I do not remember this recipe from when I browsed through the book after I bought it. Raspberry Sunday Loaf sounds like something I would totally pick to make myself. The recipe is from the Hilltop Inn which was known as the Broomfield Guest House when this book was printed. I see that they now have a tea room, and this bread would be just perfect for serving with tea. Apparently the original inn was made to be an inn, so it doesn't have the history and stories I love to hear, but it still sounds like a lovely place to visit.


Raspberry Sunday Loaf
recipe from the former Broomfield Guest House
my notes in italics

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cut up (I melted and cooled it for easier mixing)
2 eggs
1/2 cup raspberry jam
3/4 cup milk

Glaze:
2 Tbsp better (melted)
2 tbsp sugar (I used powdered sugar and had to up it to 3 tbsp for proper consistency)
2 tbsp raspberry jam


Preheat oven to 350. (If I were to make this again I would have my oven temperature at 325 to prevent the crust from over browning) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixing bowl. Mix well. Cut butter into flour mixture until is resembles coarse salt. (I used melted butter just to make it easier)

Beat eggs in separate bowl; add jam and milk, whisk until smooth. Stir jam mixture into flour mixture until no flour streaks show; batter will be lumpy. (I mixed this in a stand mixer)

Pour into greased (sprayed with baking spray) loaf pan (I used a 9 by 5 inch)

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. (I baked mine for 1 hour and 5 minutes to get it done but by that time the bottom and sides were a little too overdone for my liking)


Make Glaze. Drizzle over cooled loaf. (there are no real glaze directions, so I just melted the butter and stirred everything together)


~~~

I thought this was pretty good. I am a quick bread lover and think it makes a yummy breakfast warmed up with a little butter and a glass of milk. Picky husband thought it was okay, had half a piece but wanted no more. I sliced it up for the kids for breakfast and even put some extra raspberry jam on theirs but they all did not like it! Not sure why, it had no weird flavor or anything and you could taste the sweetness from the raspberry jam, I think it was more of a case of "one kid doesn't like it so no one wants it" which doesn't happen too often here but it does happen. If I make this again I would toss in some raspberries just to give it some extra flavor, plus I think it would look prettier when sliced if there were some berries in there. Too bad it wasn't a new family favorite, but it was still a fun recipe to try! Definitely great with some tea :)


1 comment:

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

It's too bad that your family didn't like this bread. I think it sounds like it would be very tasty. I also like to make quick breads.

Related Posts with Thumbnails