Saturday, March 3, 2012

Zucchini and Roasted Red Pepper Melts -- Random Recipe #4


This is my Random Recipe of the week -- Open-Faced Zucchini and Roasted Red Pepper Melts! Sounds pretty yummy, huh? Definitely something I would order for lunch at a restaurant. I was surprised to pick this recipe because the randomly selected "cookbook" of the week was a mini cookbook from the Best Recipes Easy Home Cooking series called NO-BAKE desserts...


This "grocery store check out aisle" cookbook is from July 1999, so probably not something I purchased myself, since I was in high school at the time, but possibly could have, because, who doesn't want to make a NO-BAKE dessert every now and then, right? This has been on my bookshelf forever and I have no memory of where it came from. I've never cooked anything from it so I was a little excited to make a no-bake treat. I hoped to get one of the "Kids' Treats" promised on the cover to make for my kids, but no luck.


Instead, I randomly flipped to an Open-Faced Zucchini and Roasted Red Pepper Melt. I had almost all of the ingredients on hand except for some zucchini. I used homemade bread, half of this recipe from Tuesdays with Dorie that I formed into five large sub buns. I did sub out the minced garlic for 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and skip the black pepper. Here is the recipe...


Open Faced Zucchini and Roasted Red Pepper Melts

1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip since that is what my husband eats and what we keep on hand, I prefer mayo but don't use it often enough to warrant having some on hand except for in the summer time for tomato sandwiches, mmm -- I really think I need to make my own sometime since I keep hearing how delicious homemade mayo is) ETA: I made these a second time with homemade pizza sauce instead of the mayo and they were extra delicious!

1 clove garlic, minced (I used 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 loaf, 14 inches, Italian bread, sliced lengthwise, then cut crosswise in half (or just use two large sub rolls, like I did)


1 large zucchini sliced diagonally into 8 slices (I just thinly sliced my normal sized zucchini into rounds)


1 jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into quarters or 2 medium red bell peppers roasted, peeled, and cut into quarters (I roasted my own peppers for this but only used one chopped up on the sandwiches since my kids aren't too keen on them)


1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used more like 1 cup total, about 1/4 cup on each sandwich)

1. In small bowl, blend mayonnaise, garlic, basil, oregano and black pepper. Brush cute sides of bread with 1/2 of mayonnaise mixture. Broil 5 inches from heat for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove; set aside.



2. Brush zucchini slices with remaining mayonnaise mixture. Broil 2 minutes, turning once. (Slice I had small slices, I just brushed one side and did not turn them)



3. Top each piece of bread alternately with zucchini and red pepper. (I put the pepper pieces down first then the zucchini over top) Sprinkle with cheese.


4. Broil 1 to 2 minutes (it took mine about 3 or 4, electric oven broil setting) or until golden brown and cheese melts. Makes 4 sandwiches.


~~~

My six year old daughter and I made these for a Saturday lunch. They were pretty easy to put together with lots of steps that kids can help with; stirring, topping, sprinkling cheese. I was a little nervous about serving these for lunch since the kids aren't really into red peppers but I was very surprised that both of my boys ate their whole half sandwich! My daughter, who was excited to give these a try since she was my kitchen helper, was not the biggest fan but was kind of shy about not liking it (strange for her since she is very adamant about what she does and does not like) I could tell she was disappointed that she didn't like the sandwich she helped make.


I thought these were pretty good but was not the biggest fan of the sauce. I think it was the Miracle Whip that tasted a little strange to me and real mayo would have definitely went better. Oh-well. Live and learn.

I would make these again but use a marinara or pizza sauce as the sauce rather than the mayo and just stir the seasonings into the tomato based sauce. ETA: I did end up making these again with some extra sub buns with homemade pizza sauce (left everything else the same, just skipped the mayo based sauce) and they were so delicious, a make again for sure! It was a fun recipe to put together and I'm very happy that it got my two picky boys to eat some veggies. Picky husband was not interested in trying this recipe at all (he is not a veggie fan) so I made him a roast beef and Swiss on the home made sub rolls, maybe someday he will enjoy veggies, I keep hoping :)


3 comments:

pinkstripes said...

Looks and sounds like it would have been super yummy. I wonder why it wasn't.
Im curious to know what it was doing in a no-bake dessert book.

Heather Blackman said...

I really thought this was a yummy, easy way to enjoy the roasted peppers (did my own too)! The 4-year-old really didn't buy the sweetness in the peppers, but still gave it a try. We liked sauce as is but I'll try it with the tomato sauce next time to get that extra bit of veggie in the kiddos. Thanks!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Heather, so glad you liked these! I think the home-roasted peppers taste better than the jarred ones. I will have to give them another go with the mayo. I bet you will love the pizza sauce version, it's one of my new favorite lunches :)

Take care,
Andrea

Related Posts with Thumbnails