Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Finnish Pancakes with Cranberry Sauce


These delicious pancakes were my pick for My Kitchen My World -- Finland. I found the recipe in a Pancake cookbook I have, and also found the recipe here online in an old newspaper article. The article is from a November 1957 edition of the Park City Daily News from Bowling Green, Kentucky.



Finnish Pancakes with Cranberry Sauce
adapted from Park City Daily News

1 cup sifted flour
1 and 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs separated
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon melted butter


Mix flour and milk until very smooth. Let stand.


Beat egg yolks, sugar, salt and cinnamon until thick and creamy. Add to flour mixture along with the melted butter, blend well.  (Looking at my photos, it looks like I may have mixed up the directions a bit, sorry!) Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.


To make pancakes, melt a little butter in a skillet and when it is very hot drop in spoonfuls of the pancake mixture to make little cakes. (I did this on an electric griddle and did not use extra butter.)


Brown on both sides, add additional butter as needed.


Cranberry Topping

4 cups fresh cranberries (I used frozen)
2 and 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 small lemon, sliced very thin

Combine cranberries, sugar, water, and lemon.


Bring to a boil until berries pop and sauce thickens. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Chill.

~~~~~



These pancakes were so light and delicious, they have a nice soft texture and were thinner than the usual American pancake we are used to, and were a nice change of pace. The cinnamon in the pancakes paired with the cranberry sauce reminded me of Thanksgiving.  I made these as breakfast for kids one morning while picky husband was working and served them with whipped cream. 

The cranberry sauce was perfectly sweet / tart and made a delicious topping.  The cranberry sauce recipe made a ton! I still have a bowl of it in the fridge that we are using as waffle and yogurt topping, so cut the topping recipe if half if you do not want a ton of leftovers.  All three kids and I loved these pancakes and would make them again for sure.

5 comments:

Dulce fresa said...

Yum! this look delicious!

Bev said...

Wow- 1957- this is a classic & how beautiful your dish looks. The pancakes look light & yummy with the gorgeous addition of the cranberries! What's not to love here?

pinkstripes said...

They look great!

Key said...

I wanna eat.

janet @ the taste space said...

Wow - a 1957 recipe! When something is so classic, it must be good! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails