Thursday, March 15, 2012

Muddy Mississippi Cake


This delicious dessert is one of our Club: BAKED picks for March. Thank you to Alexis at 3PM Sunday Dinner, you can find the recipe for this pie/cake here at Alexis's site if you do not have the book Baked Explorations.


If you are a Nummy Kitchen regular reader (are there any of you out there? I don't think so, but a girl can dream) you may remember that I recently made Mississippi Mud Pie, also for Club: BAKED, and this Muddy Mississippi Cake is also known as another version of Mississippi Mud Pie! Was that confusing?

Not being from Down South, I was not familiar with the previous Mississippi Mud Pie, containing a fudge layer and coffee ice cream, but I had tasted Mississippi Mud Pie before and this is the recipe I've had. Not exactly this recipe of course, but something very similar, a crunchy crust, a cake layer, a chocolate pudding layer, a whipped cream topping, and more often than not crusted up Oreos sprinkled on top, and sometimes a warm chocolate fudge sauce poured on top. I think it may be known better around here as an Oreo Mud Pie. Anyway, this was my first time making a cake / pie like this and although it was a lot of work, it turned out just as I'd imagined.


First there are crushed up Oreos for the base, I used some Birthday Cake Oreos and some regular ones. Next up is the flour-less chocolate cake, I knew there was a day when having this extra glass mixer bowl would come in handy and I hadn't been storing this giant bowl in my basement in vain. Six egg yolks whipped up and then folded into six egg whites, plus some sugar, chocolate, extra concentrated coffee, vanilla...


All ready to pop into the oven...


While the cake was baking I made the deep dark chocolate pudding layer...



I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder for some super dark chocolate pudding...



Popped the pudding in the fridge to cool and then pulled my cake out of the oven...


I have misplaced my 9 inch springform pan and opted to use my 10 inch one instead of the 8 inch. Boy am I glad that I went for bigger! This cake rose right over the 10 inch pan, luckily there was no oven mess and it stayed in the pan!


Oh no, it sank! Just kidding, it was supposed to do that, the book told me so :) It forms a nice basin for the pudding to fill. Then gets topped with some whipped cream...


And served as an after school treat to three uber-excited-for-the-three-day-weekend kids. The end :)


6 comments:

Ei said...

That looks SO good!

Jen said...

your mud pie looks delicious! I love the rainbow sprinkles :) I want one of those glass mixer bowls so badly but they don't make them in the 6-quart size :(

Jess said...

Love the sprinkles! I'm sure the kiddos loved it!

pinkstripes said...

I've never had any version of Mississippi mud pie. I didn't even know there were different types. It looks yummy!

Jamie said...

Your dark chocolate pudding makes me want to lick my computer screen! Nice work on the cake!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Looks delicious! This was great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails